Thursday, December 11, 2008

Huck Final Discussion

Today was a discussion day and overall I think it went pretty well. You all are getting much better at involving everyone. In general, I would like to see the discussion go a bit more in-depth. It might help to start referencing some specific passages and try to make some real world connections. One key passage that was never brought up was Huck's comment about the river boat accident (p. 213). When asked if anyone was hurt he says no and then follows it up with "killed a Nigger." What are readers to make of this type of comment coming from Huck at the end of the novel?

I would also be interested in your opinion on how much textual commentary you want from me. I try to keep it to a minimum, but if you think more would be helpful let me know.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I actually think separating the quiet people into one group and the more talkative crew into another group was a wonderful experiment because everyone participated at least once in the quiet group. I think the pressure of not sounding dumb or unsmart plays a major role in the discussions. thank you ms. meistar =D

Anonymous said...

oops..ms. meister :p
spelled it wrong

Anonymous said...

we did so talk about that passage in 4/5!