Friday, February 13, 2009

Hurston Essay

Today was a slightly painful in-class essay. Hopefully you were able to determine that this was an analysis one and follow the prompt directly since this one was specific. My goal is to have them back to you by Monday but no promises as I don't know what the weekend will hold.
I just want to make a few more comments on the novel after yesterday's discussion.
First, Chris I hope you sincerely apologized to Hannah.
I was glad to see that both classes talked about the buzzard scene. Hurston incorporates a lot of folktale into her work and I think this scene is influenced by that. I think the key idea is the analogy that people made with this scene to Jody and the town. It's also important to remember that they are picking apart the mule and what two groups have been called mules so far?
I'm curious about what people think of Janie's love life. Is she ever going to be satisfied or is she just too picky? Also, does anyone find it interesting that her marriages just magically end for her without any real consequences? Very unusual for the time.
Some things to think about for the second half: what is Hurston saying about race? It comes up a lot but in a rather subtle way.
Finally, could this be satire???
Upcoming: Papers due Tuesday. Finish the novel for Wednesday. We will have discussion Wednesday and Thursday.

No comments: